Tuesday, June 12, 2012
Top Ten Reasons to Attend the CBE Summer Picnic
The Columbia Beer Enthusiasts are holding their annual summer picnic this Saturday at Albert-Oakland Park, off of Blue Ridge Road. Everyone is welcome, even if you have never been to a CBE event before. Spouses, friends, children, and dogs are all welcome. (However, anyone expecting to consume beer should be 21+, of course.)
The picnic will take place in Shelter #3, located near a playground, restrooms and an aquatic facility. Here's the map. There is a Family Aquatic Center with a children's play area which costs $3.75 for adults and $2.50 for kids. The picnic starts at noon, but all are welcome to come any time throughout the afternoon.
The CBE provides burgers and dogs, but please bring a side or dessert and beers to share. This is a great opportunity to come meet and greet fellow beer enthusiasts and provide input about the kind of craft and homebrew beer events you'd like to have.
In case you're still debating whether or not to come, CBE president Jade Elwess provided the following top-ten reasons to attend this weekend's picnic:
10. Swimming - As mentioned above, the family aquatics center provides families a chance to cool off...or to sober up.
9. Food - The CBE provides burgers and hotdogs, but many CBE members like to bring foods that pair well with various beers. Of course, for many of us, beer is just liquid bread.
8. Games (washers, frisbee golf, volleyball...) - Depending on what equipment people bring with them, friendly games have been known to break out during the picnic. They're even more challenging after a beer or two.
7. Free to attend - There are few things one can do for free in CoMo. The CBE picnic is one of those things.
6. Hopefully good weather, no monsoons/heat waves in June - We've had this picnic in a rain storm as well as 100-degree weather. Luckily, there's a shelter and cold beer to keep you dry and cool.
5. Be an active voice in planning future events, tastings, give us feedback - We'd like to hear from you all as to what kinds of events you'd like to see in the future. This is a great opportunity to get your voice heard. Who knows? Maybe you'll decide to be an officer...
4. See the latest in Cabana wear, Hawaiian shirts, plaid shorts, etc. worn by CBE members - There are hints at a mankini, but I'll believe it when I see it.
3. Families are welcome - Just because it's a beer event doesn't mean kids and spouses can't come. Besides, you may need someone to drive you home.
2. People--come mix and mingle with the CBE and get to know us - Stop lurking online. Come, meet, and talk to real human beings.
1. Beer, beer, beer. - There is always a great mix of all kinds of beer. Bring any kind. CBE members often bring homebrews, that special bottle in the back of their cellar, or just a tried and true favorite from the store. Just don't forget to drink water, too.